Universiti Teknologi MARA (UiTM) is a public university in Malaysia. It is the country's largest institution of higher learning in terms of size and population. The university plays an important role in Malaysia's national development to become an inclusive knowledge-based economy, based on its philosophy: every individual has the ability to attain excellence through the transfer of knowledge and assimilation of moral values so as to become professional graduates capable of developing knowledge, self, society and nation.
Besides the main campus in Shah Alam, the university has expanded nationwide with 13 branch campuses and more than 21 satellite campuses, all of which are supported by 17,000 staff.
Collectively, UiTM offers more than 500 academic programmes ranging from foundation to postgraduate level over a vast number of faculties and academies. There are a 158 master's programmes and 49 PhD programmes offered at the postgraduate level, which are open to international students.
As one of the leading universities in Malaysia, UiTM has been rated positively by local and international bodies. The university is rated 'Tier 5: Excellent' by the Malaysian Qualifications Agency (MQA) Rating System for Higher Education Institutions in Malaysia.
Described as a "research-intensive entrepreneurial university", UiTM has established 9 Centres of Excellence, which are:
• Malaysia Institute of Transport (MITRANS)
• Institute of Science (IOS)
• Atta-ur-Rahman Institute for Natural Products Discovery (AuRIns)
• Institute of Infrastructure Engineering & Sustainability Management (IIESM)
• Integrative Pharmacogenomics Institute (iPROMISE)
• Microwave Research Institute (MRI)
• Institute of Pathology, Laboratory & Forensic Medicine (I-PPerForM)
• Institute of Business Excellence (IBE)
• Creative Media Technology (CMT Hub)
As part of its on-going efforts to internationalise the university and to provide global opportunities for its students, UiTM holds a number of formal links with institutions from around the world. The university shares teaching and research, as well as facilitate staff and student exchanges, with universities from Australia, Germany, the UK and the USA.